Sunday, November 1, 2009

Gun Shows- a Sociological Study?

Another gun show done & gone, and while the N-B quotient didn’t go up today, I made an interesting (to me) observation:

People at gun shows want to be old.

Huh?
---------------
Most folks in our society find means to describe their perceived young age to those around them.

“I only look 40! Thanks!”

“The sixties? Nah, I’m not old enough to remember them.”

“Herbert Hoover? Who’s that?”

Well, that last one was a reach, but you know what I mean- people are pleased to think of themselves as younger than they are.

At a gun show, not so much.
---------------
My colleague & I are working the tables, & a guy comes up telling us how wicked smaht he is about firearms, as he’s been around them a looooong time.

“I’ll bet I’ve got a few years on you two guys” the man says. The gent in question is clearly about the same age as my younger brother, & my workmate has about 5 years on me.

“Yeahup, I was born way back in ’55, ‘n I’ve seen a few guns in my time, I have.”

::guffaws & snerks from our side of the table::

(Subsequent edification of the interloper omitted)
---------------
This happened at least five times this weekend, in various incarnations, & upon reflection, is a somewhat regular occurrence at these venues.

What’s that all about?

I’m guessing that to many, the mere statement of age, coupled with a (presumed lifelong) interest in firearms, is proof positive, and an ultimate accreditation of the veracity of their word on all things discussed at the sale table.

Goofballs.
---------------
My words of wisdom?

Ladies & Gents, don’t go around trying to impress people with your worldly experience, & likewise, don’t attempt to inculcate the unwashed masses with your brilliance, especially if the exactness of your grandeur is known only to you.

You just end up looking/sounding like a goofball.

The world’s got enough goofballs…

6 comments:

Borepatch said...

Now me, I know a lot about guns, having been born way, way back in '58 ...

Actually it does seem like that to the kids.

WV: "cries". What an Old Faht does when he thinks just how old a faht he is ...

Lissa said...

I take the opposite approach -- I remind everyone else how old THEY are. This greatly endears me to the people around me. Or something. ;-)

"Duck . . . and cover! Duck . . . and cover!"

backwoods18235 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
backwoods18235 said...

DT- I don't even know what a '55 is or who Hover is hahaha? I thought that was a dam or vacuum cleaner …… or something.

But I do know that guns always look greener on the other side of that salesmen’s table.

BW

Anonymous said...

I suppose admitting lack of firearm knowledge ranks right up there with "asking directions" when lost in the city.

BW's last sentence is OOOOHH so true.

Skul

Blogger said...

Sprinter - ChokeLine (170BPM)