Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Purty Good Idea-

if I do say so myself.

I was looking to disassemble Mrs. DT’s LCP this evening for a thorough cleaning, & shuddered at the pic in the manual that suggested using a screwdriver to pry out the slide stop pin. I’ve worked with metal all my life, & buggering up the slide and/or the pin with a screwdriver just didn’t make it.

So I pondered the “right” tool for the job- softer than steel, but thick enough to not bend under the stress, preferably thinner at the working end.

Got it:

Everyone older than ten has a bunch of useless keys around somewhere. They’re small, made of soft materials & of reasonable strength to use as light duty pry tool. Note that while most keys are made of brass, some are made of nickel silver, aluminum, & a few of steel. I think the brass or NS ones have the best characteristics for this application.

I filed down the end of the key to better slip under the head of the pin, & presto- pin out & no scratching/buggering of the gun. The Kel-Tec has the same pin set-up, & I’m guessing the file could be employed to make this tool fit any other gun pry job needs that arise. Actually, a little bend about 3/8" back from the end (for a pivot point) would make this work even better.

I feel like Edison…

No comments: