Friday, August 20, 2010

Great Balls (to) Fire...

The cannon isn't exactly news, but the little pile of 2" cannon balls is.

As a result of the cannon fire at State Line Gun Shop's open house last June, I've been invited to a cannon/machine gun shoot tomorrow at a nearby gun club. There will be a stretch limo (!) there to shoot at, Tannerite targets, and an office setup, complete with desk, computer, shelving, potted plants, & such.

I was hesitant to attend, because as my regular reader knows, I find a bunch of folks playing with guns, machine guns, & cannon to be highly unsafe practices. BUT, I decided to untwist my panties & give it a go.

With a target-rich environment like that, I figured I needed projectiles for the big boomer. After much fluging around, I (actually the Mrs.) came up with a properly sized mold to use to make plaster balls. I wanted something that would mark it's spot on impact, as well as being degradable/non-ricocheting/only somewhat lethal.

Twenty minutes in the mold, & out pops a neat little ball the proper size to take a patch to snug to the bore.

Oh, & did I mention there will be a pig roast there as well? Heh.

This is going to be cool...

10 comments:

Borepatch said...

Oh. My. God.

I will be very interested to see whether the plaster turns into a big white cloud of powder on ignition, or whether you actually have impact on limo.

Lissa said...

Video, sir. Or we will write you angry letter and deliver them with postage due. :)

Dragon said...

VIDEO!!!!!

OMFG....VIDEO!!!!!

Looks like I'm a day late and a dollar short here in seeing this post, but I'm *hoping* that you, perhaps, just maybe, took the time to dip the plaster balls into a pail of polyurethane so as to coat them with something that would aid in keeping them from blowing apart *in* the cannon...

bogie said...

I'm with Borepatch and Dragon - betting that they blow apart in the cannon.

We definitely want pics!

doubletrouble said...

BP, Dragon, bogie-
The balls seem to have held up. Initial tests here saw that they ripped the bark of a tree before disintegrating. There are damp compressed rags & a patch beteen ball & charge, so the "fire" never gets to the ball.

Lissa, et al-
No video...yet. I was busy prepping & firing the cannon & all hell broke loose around me. I expect some video to show on You Tube soon, & I'll link to it.

Sorry 'bout that kids...

Nancy R. said...

Oooooh! I'm so jealous. I've heard of using juice concentrate cans as molds for cannister rounds, as well. Wish I could have been there to help with that! (says a gunner from the 1993 1st Place Artillery Team at the 28th [Maryland] Governor's Invitational Firelock Match.) No, I don't miss it at all. Really.

Wally said...

Very very nice! I couldn't make it to the shoot but did have some friends stop by my place after the shoot. Your cannon did get high praise!

BTW, ATF just blessed my reactivation, so I'm into phast 2 of the project!

doubletrouble said...

Wally-
Do you know if anyone got video of the opening salvo & subsequent carnage?

I'd like to link it if it's published somewhere.
Thanks!

PS- Congrats on the "blessing"

Wally said...

Stay tuned, I know there is plenty of vid from the event but don't have a link yet.

Wally said...

Ask and you shall receive. Well, not always - but here's a video to hold you over until the geishas arrive :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL9qBJE7jg4