Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I Seen the Elephant...

Well, not quite.

Working on the dump truck this afternoon, I see C.C. (our cat) haulin' ass across the yard & by where I was working- a good 138 mph if I calculated correctly.

OK, the cat's a little loony sometimes, but he was haulin'. I got up to go get some duct tape & tinfoil from the house (necessary tools when working on old trucks), & as I look up into the side yard, I see


Da Bear.*

Folks that have been here at the ranch will recognize that the distance between the garage & the house, & the side yard by the barn (where he/she was) to the house are about the same. I stopped short in the driveway, & Da Bear halted.

We stared at each other- neither moved, except for me saying "Oh Shit" (I'm pretty sure I capitalized it).

That little .22 I always carry all of a sudden felt wicked puny.

I eyeballed the house quickly & realized the sun room porch door was open. I gave a whistle & a holler & hauled my own butt onto the porch & into the house. "Find the camera" thinks I, in typical blogger thought. "No dumbass, get the shotgun first"- oh yeah. Slipped in two slugs in front of the three 3/0 buck already in there, then grabbed the camera, & began to look for the beast.

Alas, I guess the whistle & holler did the trick, 'cause he had disappeared hisself into the woods.

Did get the adrenaline pumping though...



* Full disclosure- that's a borrowed web pic, close as I could find to his approximate size, in similar surroundings.


4 comments:

bluesun said...

Cool! I've never had a bear come up close to me as I'm out in the woods, but I have been on hikes where we were probably just a few hours apart. And once a couple of cow elk ran past me close enough that if I had had my axe I could have knocked them in the head.

BobG said...

When I was a kid they used to come around when we were camping. I remember throwing rocks at them to chase them away.

Jay G said...

Yikes.

What's especially frightening is that with all the gunfire that emanates from that area, most likely that bar is used to humans.

Not a good thing.

Carry the .44 from now on please...

Lissa said...

Glad everything was unharmed, sir! We haven't had any gators wander into our yard yet, thank goodness . . .