Thursday, July 24, 2008

Fall in a Pile of Shit…

And come up smellin’ like a new truck.

I’ve got a 1999 Toyota Tacoma truck that I bought new (guess when). I’ve always thought of it as my “new” truck, as she still looks good, paint is shiny, & it always starts & gets me where I want to go (original battery too!).

I got a letter from Toyota USA last week indicating there may be some issues with the frames on trucks of my vintage. So off to the dealer I go, & sure enough, the frame’s got the STINKINGCRUDROT. That’s the bad (?) news.

The good news is that Toyota is buying back these trucks at 1.5x the Kelley Blue Book retail price, and all units are considered in excellent condition for this buyback.

So, here I am, with a damn near 10-year-old truck, & they’re going to give me the better part of $13k for it.

Happy crap like this doesn’t happen to me.

But y’know? I think I just might buy a new one for the $5k & change…


5 comments:

Bruce said...

That's some SERIOUS hopenchange, you got there.

Jay G said...

But under the Obama Administration, your new Tacoma would not only be free, but it would run on unicorn farts and rainbows...

doubletrouble said...

Bruce- Ogden Nash? (it's a puzzle)

Jay- in anticipation of the second coming of the Messiah, the unicorn IS standard equipment; owner must supply own rainbows...

Mike W. said...

The FRAME is falling apart? Damn that's not good!

Luckily Toyota is usually good about making things right, and it seems this is no exception. What are you planning to get next?

doubletrouble said...

Mike-

Yeah, evidently it was a problem for a couple years around 1999.

Pissa, because the rest of the vehicle is just fine, & still looks good. Only got 100k on it!

But Toyota is steppin' up on this one, & I gotta respect that, so I'm gonna get another just like it.